Friday 15 June 2012

A Personal note

After working for some time in the new office and writing so many reports and news articles for them, I realize that I really need to improve my writing skill. I realized that when I submitted a draft of our operational report which was immediately handed back to me with so many corrections and comments. There were so many of them,  I hardly recognized my original report in it.

I understand English is not my native language (and my boss too, obviously), but still I was a little bit shocked. I don't consider myself as an excellent writer, but I liked to think I'm not too bad. Apparently, I was wrong.

I never join any writing course. Not in Indonesian, let alone in English. All this time, I write without really thinking how to do it, only about what to write. I get mixed results because of that. Sometimes I am able to produce good writings, sometimes crappy ones. I never really bother. Besides, apart from writing several small articles for my previous office's homepage - which I did mostly in Indonesian anyway, a lot easier for me - I don't really regularly write.

But now, I  need to improve more on my writing. This new job apparently involves a lot of writing in English, with considerably greater variations from what I was used to before, ranging from activities reports, news articles, to research proposals. I need to find a good writing course to handle all those. After all, a good writing skill will be an excellent addition to my skills set.

No comments:

Post a Comment